A new seaside town is taking shape in the Shekou district of Shenzhen. As part of the facelift of the Sea World urban complex, China’s earliest pilot zone for economic reforms in the 1980s, the coastal development is being transformed into a commercial and recreational hub hosting an arts center, deluxe hotel, IMAX theater and seaside park. The commercial centerpiece is the new China Merchants Plaza office building, which marks a milestone in the development of intelligent office space in the Shenzhen region. Towering 211 meters above the coastline, it is the most exclusive office estate developed by China Merchants Property Development Co., Ltd. during its 100-year history. KONE was chosen to supply the elevators based on a long-term partnership and a proven ability to deliver premium value. The project included 21 KONE elevators in total, including high-speed KONE MiniSpace™ elevators that are able to travel at six meters per second. Because ride comfort becomes even more important at high speeds, KONE created a special wiring solution for these elevators to prevent electromagnetic interference and maximize passenger comfort. “KONE overcame all difficulties and provided excellent service without any delays,” praised the developer.
- Completed: 2013
- Size: 107,000 sqm
- Height: 211 m
- Floors: 38
- Certification: China Green Building Certificate, 2nd level
- Building owner: China Merchants Property Development Co., Ltd.
- Developer: China Merchants Property Development Co., Ltd.
- Architect: SOM, AECOM
- Contractor: China First Construction Engineering Company Ltd. of China Construction Second Engineering Bureau
- 16 KONE MiniSpace™ elevators
- 5 KONE MonoSpace® elevators
- KONE Destination control system
- KONE E-Link™ monitoring system